Saturday, April 5, 2008

Spiral Socks

I have been wanting to knit "candy cane socks" for just ages. My latest try:

IMG_1375

These are spiral socks, knitted of leftover bits of Knitpicks Gloss from two other projects, on a 32" 2.25 mm Knitpicks circular needle, according to the technique described in detail by Grumperina and also in the Stashbuster Spirals Socks pattern. They describe the technique much better than I could, so go there to learn how.

Nifty, eh? Mods are as follows:
1) I'm working top-down.
2) I cast on 72 stitches because I always think my admittedly-huge legs are the size of a regular person's waist. Since that's too big, I added some calf shaping and brought the total down to 66 stitches.
3. I did a heel flap rather than a short-row heel.

As you can see, I've still got a ways to go. Also,there are two other "first socks" on the needles so I really need to find some focus soon.

Also, as you can see, there is a weird "pinch" of fabric along the sides of the leg. That is because whenever I switched colors I pulled like a freight train on the new color and accidentally way overtightened it. So if you try this technique, just knit like a normal person with each new color as you come to it.

No comments: