Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Oh, to heck with it!

Alternative Titles: Diana Goes Over the Brink or Yarn Binge.

Yarn diet my eye.

Around the middle of last week, I realized I needed to pick up a couple of insurance skeins of the Knitpicks lace yarns I bought last spring. I was planning some largeish shawls and I didn't want to run out.

I placed a small order after midnight Wednesday night. When I got up Thursday morning, I discovered that Knitpicks had declared a lace yarn sale. Naturally I called them to get the discount applied to my order from seven hours previously (I couldn't change the order because they were already packing it for shipping! Those folks must really need their warehouse space back). Then I realized I needed to get one or two extra skeins. Then...I can't really remember. All I know is that I found myself sprawled on the sofa with my laptop on my lap, my credit card clutched in my hand, and a vaguely dirty feeling.

Barely 48 hours later, the yarn was here. I unpacked it and fondled it. Then I decided to play!

I hauled out all my lace yarn and made a color wheel out on the porch. (Note: this does not even include the lace yarn that's being knit into my Classic Lines Cardigan, nor the two shawls (turquoise and red-brown) that are already on the needles.) Voila:
IMG_3339 004
As I calculate it, I have enough yarn there for sixteen shawls. That's a lotta shawls! The new ones are Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud in Cha Cha Heather (the orange one at eleven o'clock) and Dill Heather (the dark green at around eight). I bought a few more skeins in colors I had already so I didn't have to worry about having enough yarn for various projects. [What I will end up with, I can already predict, is some kind of Frankenshawl made out of multiple orphan skeins. Or maybe a lot of small scarves, fichus and/or headbands.]

It amuses me to analyze my color preferences. I note strong concentrations in:

Pink (a kettle-dyed wool, a strongly variegated alpaca/silk blend, and a coral pink wool) augmented by Red (that hand-dyed wool from last month)
IMG_3344 009
Green (a light yellow green kettle-dyed wool, a bright yellow green mohair/silk blend, a dull, brownish yellow green mohair/silk blend and a dark yellow green alpaca. Apparently the only greens I like are yellow greens.)
IMG_3340 005
Blue (deep turquoise wool, heathered blue wool, and variegated blue alpaca/silk)
IMG_3341 006
and, inexplicably, three separate shawls' worth of red-brown yarn
IMG_3345 010
not counting the Icarus shawl. That's four red-brown shawls! What was I thinking?!

Yellow is entirely absent, and purple is represented only by a grayish-lavender alpaca and a strongly variegated alpaca/silk that adulturates the purple with tons of turquoise and fuchsia.

What does all this mean?

1. 1970s appliance colors still rule!

2. I don't really pay much attention to the actual clothing in my wardrobe when planning these little projects.

3. I think I knit a lot faster than I actually knit!

I was enjoying my new purchases, but I convinced myself that this was just an aberration. That I had had a little binge, like eating a whole pint of Haagen-Dasz in one sitting, but that I could pick myself up and get back on the wagon. But the Universe held up a mirror to me, revealing the truth about my character: a box came for me in the mail today. It contained my latest from Sundara: Toasted Orange Over Pistachio sock yarn which I utterly adore.
IMG_3347 001
IMG_3348 002
Maybe it's time to accept myself for who I am?

No comments: