Monday, June 16, 2008

China Day 17: Impressions of Guilin

While I was resting up this afternoon (Dad went off to a lecture on reflexology and Chinese medicine) I knit my sock to the toe. I also had time to observe the neighborhood outside our hotel room windows.

We're up pretty high in this building, and our room looks out on the back alley, which is surrounded by apartment buildings roughly the same height:
China-1772
I can't tell what our neighbors are growing on the roofs and balconies over there, but if it were me they would be tomato plants.

It seemed like there was always a lot of traffic - foot, bicycle and moped - down our alley, but for a while I couldn't tell why.
China-1767
Then I realized that the metal awning at ground level sheltered the cooks at a noodle restaurant. I had a lot of fun watching them cook:
China-1770
Their fried rice doesn't look bad!

Dad eventually came back, having had a nice massage at his lecture, and we decided to take a walk along the river - our hotel is just spitting distance away. There were lovely flowering trees along the banks (not osmanthus, though!)
China-1776
Not far from there, we passed a public exercise area:
China-1778
The Chinese government takes a paternal interest in its citizens' health; apparently the form it takes here is the provision of exercise equipment - and a view to admire while you use it. I think I'd be likely to exercise in such nice surroundings - way better than a sweaty gym, at least.

There are a lot of bridges arching over the river, and you have to pass under some of the arches while walking the path. I liked this view through several of them:
China-1779
I got a few more shots of families towing youngsters in those split pants, too:
China-1780
China-1781
There's been a lot more rain than usual this month, and the water level is way up in the river. This resulted in the Dragon Boat Race being postponed, so a dragon boat was moored along the walkway waiting for the rescheduled race. A bunch of young boys were fooling around on it:
China-1782
If you look just next to the hull, you'll see the walkway under about six inches of water! A little more photographic evidence of the high water: these boys are on what is normally the path:
China-1786
and the horses usually run on dry land!
China-1785

No comments: