Tuesday, June 17, 2008

China Day 18: In Which We Get to Shop

"I just get really happy when they finally let her shop"
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion

The section of town we landed in contains several streets of market stalls full of souvenirs: fans, silk scarves, mah jong tiles, chopsticks, teacups and more. Fred loosed the leashes for once and for all and turned us loose on the market to spend up the last of our yuan; once we get on the plane all they're good for is wallpaper. Unfortunately I've been doing pretty well already at spending the last of my cash; I'm down to about 30 yuan and maybe $100 American. It's a very pretty market, even so, and I had fun shopping:
China-1882
I found the nice large silk fans I've been looking for and got 5 for 60 yuan (I borrowed a little from Dad) plus three dainty little ones for 10 yuan each. Then Dad and I had fun wandering around with some friends looking at all the things. I wish I'd saved more money, or that someone had let me know we were going here - they had really nice stuff.

I found one more thing I wanted: a wooden fan with cranes printed on it. I was out of yuan but I tried to get them to sell it to me for $2 American. No dice - these folks can smell a poor haggler, and they held out for $3. I wouldn't budge so they patted me on the back and sent me away. I'm not without resources, myself, though: I recruited Ashley (the young cutie traveling with her grandma) to give it a try, and guess what? She got it for me for $2!

No comments: