Tuesday, June 17, 2008

China Day 18: Yangshuo with Cormorants

Our river ride ended at the town of Yangshuo, about 50 miles south of Guilin. There was a dock with stairs going up to the street level:
China-1880
When we got to the dock, everyone on the boat was in a huge rush to leave. As we crowded toward the front of the boat, however, I saw a young man almost in the way of the departing passengers, with a sign around his neck: 10 Yuan, Your Picture with My Birds. He had two cormorants on a stick across his shoulders!

If you aren't familiar with cormorants, they are water birds that have been trained for centuries in China to catch fish. The fishermen tie a cord around the bird's neck so it can only swallow little fish; when it catches a big fish it sticks in the bird's throat and the bird comes back to the fisherman to have it removed. I was hoping to see cormorant fishers along the river but this was the first time I saw any.
China-1881
So of course I took advantage of the opportunity! I paid the man, and Dad took my picture in about two seconds because the other disembarking passengers were in no mood to be patient while we took several shots.

No comments: